Memorize:

"But My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 (KJV)

Monday, September 6, 2010

Fountain of Thoughts: Memorization

I've been thinking about writing about Bible memorization for the last month or so. A couple of weeks ago, imagine my astonishment when someone at my church brought it up. Isn't it funny how such things happen. You'll be thinking about something, and then, all of a sudden, it seems as though everyone else has been thinking about the very same thing.

The topic of memorizing Scripture is an important one, and, to my mind, it ties in directly with my previous post in this series about persecution. Over and over in the Bible we are told memorize. Psalm 1: we're to "meditate on [His] word day and night." The word meditate here means to become so involved in God's word that we are talking and repeating it to ourselves. In Proverbs 3 we're supposed to "write it [His word] on the tables of our heart." These are only two examples. This theme literally permeates the Scripture. "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." (Deut. 6).

The Bible does say that "not one jot or tittle will pass away." The Bible will remain forever. However, (and this is where it ties into persecution), the time will come for us in America where the Bible will become exceedingly scarce. In many churches in other closed countries, there are either only one Bible or part of a Bible in the entire congregation. Amos 8 says: "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God of hosts, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord. And the shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, the shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it."

Aside from the direct commands to "treasure [His word] in our hearts" I believe the above verses from Amos is the number one reason to memorize Scripture. Amos continues: "In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst." The time is coming when we may not be able to get our hands on a physical Bible. I believe, if we do not wish to spiritually faint for thirst of God's Word, that we must commit it to memory.

I myself have been doing so consistently for three, nearly four, years. At one chapter a month, or about a verse a day, I have currently memorized six books of the Bible, going on 8. (I'm at the end of Amos). A verse a day is easy, anyone can do it, even if you think it's too hard for you to memorize. The benefit for me so far has been a much closer look at individual verses. It's easy, when reading the Bible, to just skim. When you memorize it though, you're forced to look at what the verse really says. Aside from that, it is scientifically proven that memorizing Scripture helps to remember other things. I've started with the shorter books of the Bible, but I'm looking forward to getting to the longer books and being forced to memorize 2, 3, and 4, verses a day to accomplish my goal of a chapter a month. I'd like to encourage you to do the same. Figure out a system that works for you, and then keep at it. It takes work at first, but don't get discouraged, it gets easier as time goes on. Having an accountability partner to whom you can quote your verses can really help as well. For this week, try memorizing seven of your favorite Bible verses.

"The Lord bless you, the Lord cause his face to shine upon you...and give you peace."

(This has been Fountain of Thoughts: Memorization. Look in next time to read A Day in the Life Of__)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is exactly what I needed to read. I've been discouraged at my sloooow progress in memorizing Colossians 3. :( Its good to be reminded of all the benefits we will receive when we hide God's word in our hearts. And the testimony of others is also very encouraging, thanks for sharing how you have benefited from consistent memorization. As with anything worth while, it requires effort, which will pay back overwhelmingly in the end. thank you.

    ReplyDelete