Memorize:

"But My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 (KJV)

Saturday, August 27, 2011

An Everlasting Impact



Warning: This Might be a Long Post! But it's worth it, so keep reading! =)

I am a slim acquaintance with several cool people down in Oregon. Actually, I really only know most of them by sight and reputation. I might have passed the time of day with a few of them. But, they're pretty nice people anyway. I 'met' them through various channels, mostly speech and debate, but also Christian Home school Network and Christian Heritage. (The middle one is the one that hosts the Home school Day at the Capital) I'll refer to them as: Mr. QC, Misses SB, RA, and LM. Also, one of their friends, whom I don't claim acquaintanceship, Miss EG. All that to say...

I learned a few weeks ago that Mr. QC had lost one of his best friends in a water accident. Jimmy Brazell was only 18 or 19 years old. Not that much older than myself. I was privileged and impacted by the eulogies which my acquaintances wrote. I didn't know Jimmy. I hardly know his friends. But, bear with me as I share some of the excerpts.

QC:
"Jimmy had a way about living life that was contagious to all who were around him. He set a high standard. He lived with a passionate love of God. He loved people and wanted to see them found by the Savior. Jimmy cared...
Jimmy was one of those few people you'll meet in life who will truly inspire you to live differently. Jimmy had such a passion for living a life for God. He loved God's people, and He loved the lost. Jimmy was blessed to be a shining light for our Savior in a dark and dying world. ...but now he's gone. Jimmy had a huge impact on my life, and I know that he affected hundreds and thousands of others.

Every breath I breathe is a gift. Jimmy filled every breath that God gave Him, speaking truth, grace, and love. Jimmy is going to be so, so incredibly missed. The last day of July will always have a new special significance to those who loved Him. I want to see Jimmy again. ...and I will. He's in heaven singing and making music, worshiping at the feet of Jesus, in God's loving care. I'm so happy for you, my friend. So happy. I miss you so much, and someday I'll be able to come see you. I love you, and I can honestly say that when I grow up I want to be like you.

When I grow up, I want to be like Jimmy."

SB:

"Jimmy was an indescribable person. But... I'll try to describe him anyway with some key words. Please read each one slowly, they are each such an beautiful part of who he was.

Love. Passion. Smiles. Understanding. On fire. Worship. Genuine. Excitement. Adventurous. Eternal perspective. Encouraging. Faith. Musical. Peace. Funny. Depth. Laughter. Wisdom. Pure in heart.

I only knew him for one week, but his impact has already been astounding. Here are a few of the most important things that Jimmy has taught me:...Jesus is Everything...Life is a Gift...Live with Joy...Worship is Constant...Be Ready...Look Forward...Jimmy has impacted me in so many ways. And I pray that whether you knew him or not, you won't forget the things he showed us in his life. Remember that Jesus is worth everything. Remember that your days are a gift, so live them full of the joy of our salvation. Remember to constantly worship our God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. And be ready each day for what we should treasure and look forward to the most: living eternally with the Lover and Savior of our souls."


RA:

"There are some people who you meet once and know you will never forget. Jimmy Brazell was one of those people. They are the kind of people you learn something from...Jimmy taught me what it means to live each days as if it were your last. After two near-death experiences, Jimmy understood, to a level most of us don't, the frailty of life. He knew none of us are assured tomorrow. And his life demonstrated a passion to make the most of every moment.

Jimmy taught me that even the smallest, most mundane tasks, could be exciting, if you were willing to see the potential in it. He knew God worked in the small things.

He taught me that loving people is always worth it.

He taught me that you make the biggest impact on someones life not by showing them how much you know, but by letting them know how much you care about them.

He taught me what it means to leave everything out on the field. Never hold back. Never keep some in reserve. Give everything you've got.

Jimmy taught me that joy is a choice.

He taught me that there is no fear in death.

He taught me that strangers and pilgrims on the earth have no regrets when leaving to their final homeland.

He taught me that even the most painful experience can also have joy, if we have lived for Christ.

He taught me that someone who shines Christ leaves a legacy that continues after our time on earth is over.

He taught me what it means to live in light of heaven."


LM:

"I only knew you for one short week, but one week was enough for Christ to shine into my life through you. I remember the time I spent around you, and I see Jesus...While I am incredibly sad that you're gone, the legacy you've left is one that inspires others to focus on loving Christ, and that is truly beautiful. Moreover, where you are now is infinitely more wonderful and glorious. Now you're home. Really home. And I can't wait to see you there.

Jimmy, I met you and I saw Jesus. I love you, friend. See you soon."

EG:

"From the very start Jimmy had a true and genuine love for people. When he would talk to you, he cared so much about what it was you would say. He gave such words of encouragement that could not be compared. Then the day he shared his testimony with me was when I saw how committed he was to his relationship with Jesus. He lived every day as if it was to be his last. I remember talking with him as he would share of his greatest joy and desire which was to share the Gospel. There was a light in his eye when he would talk about his life and how God had impacted how he lived. The things he said stuck with me and I can honestly say the kind of friend, encourager, and sibling in Christ is the kind of person that I want to be. He had so many things in his life that he could have taken for bad, but he turned it into joy and faith in Jesus."

I don't know about you, but I was almost moved to tears by these tributes to a guy I never knew. Remember, this guy was young, as young as I. Here's my open-ended question that I've been asking myself ever since I read these. "Am I the kind of person, even now, who would leave this kind of everlasting legacy behind me?" Are you? What are people going to say about you when you die? Are they going to talk about meaningless things such as how you like to make birdhouses? Or are they going to talk about what really matters; your relationship with God and others. Your fire for God. Your love for others.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Abigail,
    Thanks for sending me your blog address in your recent letter! It was fun to read about what has been going on in your life. Our family blog address is www.servenclan.com if you want to see a little of our life! :)

    In Christ, Sarah S.

    ReplyDelete