Memorize:

"But My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 (KJV)

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fountain of Thoughts: Persecution

I often think about random things. One of the most prominent of these thoughts has been that of death and persecution. These thoughts and questions of mine were solidified a couple of years ago after I read a number of books about missionaries and missions during and after the Iron Curtain era. They are all good reads, so I'll list them here quickly. Three were by Brother Andrew: God's smuggler (his personal story), The Calling, and the Light Force (the latter two I probably wouldn't agree with completely). Also, Of Whom the World was not Worthy by Marie Chapian, If I Perish, by Esther Kim, and Against the Tide by Angus L. Kinnear.

All of these books had a common thread which grabbed my attention and has remained on my mind for quite a while. The thread was this: Christians suffering persecution for their faith were drawn together in an unique unity and their "love, faith, long suffering, gentleness, patience, meekness, and temperance" was tangibly strengthened.

Most of my life, I've wondered about death. Would I go to heaven when I died? Would my death be painful? Would my life have meant anything to anyone? Did I even want to die anyway? I mean, there was so much to do and see on earth, was I ready to die yet? Off an on, as these thoughts and question crossed my mind, I ended up concluding that "No, if God wanted me to die, I wasn't ready. Not in the normal sense of being not being ready of course. As a Christian, I knew it was OK to die because I would be in heaven. But not ready in the sense that I felt I had a mission to fulfill on earth and that I would rather stay on earth for a while than go to heaven unexpectedly. In other words, I wasn't I willing to die if called.

I was bothered by this repeated conclusion to my repeated thoughts. It didn't seem right somehow to not be willing. If God wanted me to die, it felt like resisting and defying Him to not want to. I'd always heard at other people's funerals and things about the deceased talking in life about being "ready to go home." And that, I decided, was what it should be like. One should be so focused on God and His home that one wouldn't mind, and in fact, would look forward to going to be with Him. So, I asked Him to make me willing. And, honestly, while I don't feel that I can say "yes" as yet, I do feel as though I am closer to it than I was a few years ago.

As I read these books a couple of years ago, it lead me to more wondering about the subject. No one likes pain. Probably everyone's ideal death is similar to Matthew Cuthbert's in Anne of Green Gables. We probably just want to go to sleep and wake up in heaven, or, die peacefully with "our boots on." But Paul, in 2 Timothy 3: 12 says this, "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." When I saw this verse a few days ago, it set me to wondering, again, if I was ready; and if we were ready.

In America, we have been extraordinarily blessed with peace and rest from extensive persecution for two hundred years. It is becoming obvious however that it is coming here too. Legislation is appearing everywhere which is overturning our rights and putting in place laws exceedingly contrary to the former Bible based laws of our country. Our country has moved from it's Christian foundation to a sandy, shifting beach. (Matthew 7:24-27) Those with their eyes open can see that it may not be long before we too are meeting secretly and are being jailed and tortured for our faith.

Those books I read made it obvious that strong faith has a lot to do with it being put under strong tests. Here in America however, it has been so long since we have had such a strong test and trial that I can't help but wondering if our faith is now so weak that we would crumple under the coming persecution instead of strengthening. Ecologists once created a Utopian ecosystem, but because they could not recreate wind, their trees collapsed. A tree that is not frequently blown against by the wind is weak and at the first breath, it will fall.

So, my question today is this: "Are we ready? Are you ready? Am I ready?" And while it is a good thing to be thinking about, ("forewarned, forearmed,") keep in mind that it isn't hopeless. Not only does Paul say that we will suffer for our faith, but that verse is preceded by a list of Paul's sufferings ending with the words "but out of them all the Lord delivered me." And, in 2 Timothy 2:19, we have this assurance: "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his..."

(This has been: Foutain of Thoughts. Look in next time to read: A Day in the Life of:__)

No comments:

Post a Comment