Memorize:

"But My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 (KJV)

Monday, April 25, 2011

A One Year Anniversary and a Plea

Dear Readers,

The one year anniversary of my blog coincides with May. Why am I saying this now instead of at the actual event? I am doing so for the following reasons.

1st, this is my 40th post. I considered writing many posts to make it my 50th, but, perhaps not. Maybe that will come around in time to help celebrate the actual anniversary, but I doubt it.

The 2nd, and real reason is this: My blog needs help. Renovations, updates, modernization, renewal. In celebration of this prestigious anniversary, this blog will be going under construction throughout the entire month of May; sooner if it happens sooner, but no later than the 31st of May it will be back up and running!

So, why am I telling you this? Other than being courteous to my readers, I want you to help! I would love your input on how to make this blog site easier to read and easier to use for you. So, please comment with your suggestions! It would be greatly appreciated. I'm aiming to make this the most convenient, easy-to-use, fun, and informative blog out there, but I can't do it without you. (Hey, have I made my point or what!)

Here are a few things I'm already considering adding or changing. You can vote on them. Just comment! And if I don't have something you think would be good, just say so!

1: A page dedicated to Prayer. If I do it, it would include my thoughts on prayer. It would also include people, things, cities, and countries to pray for, and more. I would also gladly take prayer requests.

2: Branch out on my current themes. Here's a question: Do you prefer my style of having set themes to talk about, with an occasional random post thrown in, or would you prefer completely random posts with occasional organization thrown in? Or maybe just more of the one, and less of the other, or vice verse'?

If I stuck with the themes, here are some examples of what I might consider branching out on.

A) Other cities and provinces outside of the U.S. Or at least other countries.
B) Scientific facts or archeology. Perhaps I might have guest authors do some of these considering the fact that science is not exactly my subject. However, I do occasionally run across some things I enjoy, and I do like archeology.
C)Book Reviews. This ought to be self explanatory.

3: A page with a running book-list. I've received many requests from people for good books to read. I could put the possible book reviews series on this page instead of the main page.

4: A page with stories I've written/am/will write. Not that I have too many, but you never know. (And yes, this is bolded and a different color because I added it later. I want you to see it, right?)

So, here are a few more questions for you.

1st: What are your favorite posts? Why?
2nd: What is your favorite series? Why?
3rd: What type of posts and series would you like to see more of? Why?
4th: What type of posts and series would you like to see less of? Why?
5th: Are there special features you've seen elsewhere that would make this blog more convienent? What are they?
6th: What would make you read this blog more often?


7th: What would you like the About Me section to look like? And would it be nice if I managed to get a recent picture of myself? instead of one from nearly five years ago?
8th: What would make you recommend this blog to others? And anyway what's stopping you from recommending this blog to others whether I make changes or not? =)

Here are some things to keep in mind. I will not be compromising the general atmosphere of simplicity. I like it. =) So please keep your recommendations within those perimeters.

Also, I will try to post regularly, despite the construction. Just don't pay any attention to the odd things you may or may not see, unless I ask you to of course.
In a nutshell then, please...
Comment with your input.
Share this blog with others. This blog is on probation, still.
Once it's been revised, comment again with your revised input!

Thanks!
Sincerely Yours,
Source of Joy

10 comments:

  1. Idea #1 might be a good idea. Goodness knows this world can use all the prayer it can get.

    For Idea #2, I think you should go with a lot more random, with a little organization thrown in. Some of the other blogs I follow that I love do this. For example, some do a weekly Wordless Wednesday and post up a picture. I like the idea of Book Reviews. I'm planning on doing some my self, soon. :)

    I will come back a little later and answer the rest of these questions, as I've got some other stuff to do, but I hope what little I have wrote will help you.

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say more random, less structured (but not necessarily less organized. Organization in the sense of using tags or things like that is, I think, a good idea, and almost a must). B and C would be good (A would be ok too, but I don't really read all of the posts about cities... which brings me to another point). Maybe shorter posts? When one (like me =) has a limited amount of time to read people's blogs, it can oftentimes be the longer posts that get skipped. #3 is a great idea! ;)

    1st: I don't know that I have favorite-favorites, but "A Day in the Life of: Sgt. R__" was interesting.

    2nd: Maybe "Stories of My Life"

    3rd: Maybe just opinion-type ones. Like what you've learned in life, or what you think about such-and-such. Or maybe how-to on projects, if you are interested in crafty sort of things.

    4th: Maybe the snippets of... (I just don't read them very much)

    5th: Hmmm... I may need to come back on this one...

    6th: Shorter posts. Not so formal.

    7th: Telling what you enjoy doing (like hobbies and such). A recent picture would be great, but the one you have up is okay too. And maybe the goal of your blog and/or life.

    8th: I haven't really recommended your blog to anyone. But, do you mean, what makes me recommend a blog to someone else, or what would make me recommend yours in particular? What would stop me from recommending it is if I'm not interested in the posts' subjects, and/or a formal/really structured atmosphere. I guess you could say that I just like 'layed-back' for some things.

    If you disagree with anything, feel free to just delete my comment. ;) No, really. But, hopefully this was helpful. You don't have to do any of my ideas/opinions, though. Really, do what you enjoy most. =) Oh, and maybe doing a blog button would be good, if people want to link to your blog?

    Your friend,
    Carilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, structure. I knew I hadn't used the right word. Thanks! In fact, thank you all for your input. It's going to help a lot.

    One more question for you all. If I did shorter posts, it might mean having multiple parts. I can never seem to have an end of things to say. What's your preference. Posts in parts, or long posts?

    Also, I just added a fourth idea. Take a look at it! I highlighted it.

    Carrie: What is a blog button? How does it work?
    I'm a little computer illiterate. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like the idea of more random posts, and a book list and books reviews would definitely give me reason to recommend your blog to others.

    Reply to question #1- Oh goodness, that's a hard question!

    Question #2- The "stories of my life" series is may favorite, I love getting to know people better!

    Question #3- I would love to see more posts about lessons we can learn from history and such.

    Question #4- I like the idea of posts in parts; sometimes I lose my train of thought on longer posts.

    Question #5- On the "Ladies Against Feminism" blog, they have a "tag cloud" on the left hand side of the page that makes it really convenient to find older posts. I really use that a lot while on their blog. This might be something to consider
    Also, I hope this is not too picky, but having yellow words on a black background makes my eyes hurt after a while. (it was much easier to read your fourth idea in blue)

    Question #6- Shorter posts, but I already read this blog pretty regularly.

    Question #7- A recent picture would be nice

    Thanks for all the work you've put into this blog. I really enjoy it!

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posts in parts is a great idea!

    Ooooh, yes (for #4)!!! =)

    A blog button is basically a picture with your blog title on it that links to your blog that people can put on their blog to link to yours. It can be as simple as linking the picture to your blog, or you can have html for people to use for your blog button. If you choose to do that, I can help with it, if you want.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ok! Got it. I've actually made my brother a temporary contributer so he can help on the technical side of things. (Although, he might post once in a while too!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your current posts, particularly personal stories, stories about other people we can learn from, and your thoughts on various issues.
    I like the idea of a book list and/or book reviews.
    I think sticking with a simple atmosphere is good. : ) It would be a little easier to read if it wasn't yellow on black, but it's not really a big deal.
    Thanks for all the work you put into your blog! I enjoy reading it.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like personal anecdotes the best, I'm a fan of random, and I think you should do book reviews.

    Love the blog!

    Katie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book reviews.... Great idea.
    I know she's not lacking for books... =)
    I really like the blog! Like everyone else said, Random is great. Your idea of a dedicated prayer page is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be interested in reading more biographical blogs, I loved the George Mueller one, very well done. I'd recommend doing people from the past, and not so distant past, like Puritans, Reformers, Queens, Kings, Politicians, military leaders (like George Marshall, he's pretty radical), etc.

    Also, i love the stories from your life section the best cause i feel that i get to know you better and maybe even understand you a little more. And i also enjoy your sermonettes

    the book reveiw page is a great idea.

    What could you do so that I read your blog constantly? $$$ helps, but also, putting an option for people to follow you (like on my blog) allows them to check their blog feed and your most recent one will appear in the feed. just a suggestion, keep up the good work! glad you caved in and finally got yourself a blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete