Memorize:

"But My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 (KJV)

Monday, September 19, 2011

Homeless or Hopeless?

I must say, my attitude towards those I see on street corners begging is probably not the best. They often seem like hypocrites. After all, who doesn't know that many of them are not really trying to get a real job. Begging is their job. I've actually witnessed some of them walking briskly towards their particular corner, looking like normal people. They hide their fancy backpack under or behind a bush, walk to the middle of the corner and as they do so, their smile fades and they shrink into themselves and put on a sad, hurt face and posture. They carry a sign saying, 'homeless, please help, God bless,' while they wear designer jeans and smoke a cigarette down the street during their 'lunch break.'

Now, what really drives me nuts is the fact that these people detract from people who may really need help. It can be difficult to discern between them. And you don't really feel like giving money to what may be a hypocrite, so you decide not to help anyone.

But, on the other hand, whether they're hypocrites or really in need, I can't help but thinking that they are all in need of a Savior. Some of them may not really be homeless, but they are real people and as such they are people we should share Jesus with. They are people with no hope.

This is why I appreciate the ministry begun by some slim, by-sight, acquaintances. I sort of met one of them while I was doing speech and debate. Miss LsR and Miss LR are sisters who saw this need at an early age. (I believe they were not quite teenagers) On their own initiative, they began carrying bags around to give to panhandlers. They have dealt very discerningly with the issue of hypocrites by not giving money.

The bag is filled with non-perishable food, a water bottle, socks, a hand wipe, Kleenex, and a Gospel Tract. Their ministry has grown in a very few short years. Now they have people all over the East and West coast who carry bags in their cars to hand out. They also have people in the Philippines. While I have yet to try it, I love how tangible and practical this is. To find out more, go to www.h2obags.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment