Memorize:

"But My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 (KJV)

Saturday, March 31, 2012

My Perspective; Chapter 5: In Which we see the Last of Texas

Monday night was rainy and exceedingly stormy. None of us got very much sleep. Every subsequent night, we’d wake up and decide whether to stay out the storm or make a run for it. I was glad we decided to get away from it, we might never have made it to the wedding otherwise. It was a bit touch and go there for a while, but usually, the storm lulled right when we had to make the decision. I’d call that the hand of God right there.

We took a short jaunt just past San Antonio that day and stayed at Colorado River, Tx.

Bluebonnets on a cloudy day. (Courtesy Google Images)
It had been extremely windy and stormy that day, and I experienced severe car-sickness. I remember how happy I was to get parked and get out of the motor home and  get some fresh windy air. Did I mention that I really like the wind. During all the time that it stormed, it never really did get windy enough for me.

Also, that was the day that I realized what a ‘high-profile vehicle’ was. Contrary to my belief that it was probably either a police car, criminal get-away car, or a movie star’s car, I discovered that it really meant tall vehicles…why don’t they just say that!?

Anyway, it was a cloudy stormy day. While we were parking that night, it wasn’t raining or anything, just a bit gusty and definitely cloudy.  As we looked out the window, we saw at some small distance a gorgeous sea of blue.

Grandpa: I think those are some of those blue-bonnets over there.

Me: Really? I thought it looked like a lake.

Grandpa looked at the park map.

“Well, I guess it could be, there’s supposed to be a big pond over there. That must be it.”

However, throughout the day, none of us could decide. First it looked like flowers, then it looked like water. We got to calling it the Lake of Flowers.

Finally, that evening, we walked over. Sure enough, it was flowers. A great big very irregular field of them gently waving in the wind. It was one of the most beautiful sights I’ve ever seen. I wish you could have been there. I think the grey skies and the irregularity of the field must have made it appear like a body of water, because my brothers passed  through this week and said it looked nothing like a lake.

The storm caught up with us that night. And, it was worse than ever. And even more beautiful. The lightening truly lit up the whole sky. I woke in the early morning as a great big crash of thunder rolled directly overhead. I’ve never been afraid of thunder storms, so, I popped the blind open a bit and watched for a while. It was very neat.

What was not neat, was the next morning. The motor home had been parked slightly un-level. As a result, it had leaked in the bedroom, under the door, into the bathroom. Over the week, it just got worse and worse. If you stepped in it, the water in the carpeting squished over your toes. And beware if you were wearing socks!

Visibility was horrible, but as we neared Houston on Tuesday, it seemed like we might be outrunning the storm...for now. Houston was…interesting. It was also very large.

Houston, where there are billboards proclaiming blatantly Christian movies…(Fireproof). That was cool. I don’t think you’d see that anywhere but the Bible Belt.

(Speaking of the Bible Belt, I loved that most of the churches had steeples in the south.)

Houston, where they appear to spell advertisements with a southern drawl. At least, that’s the only way I can figure this sign: We buy and sale used trucks and cars…

Houston, where the street soup kitchen thingy selling Asian Chicken is written in Spanish and English as opposed to something Asian…”Pollo Asian”

Houston, where their was a Kroger’s freight truck turned over on its side…L It slowed us down for a while.

As we got out of the (seemingly endless) city and the hill country, the landscaping became a little more on the slightly boring side, but their were still beautiful blue bonnets and the main observation that I made that morning had to do with something I’d unconsciously been noticing the whole time.

Texas, where all those beautiful, verdant, green fields were really mere weeds instead of the grass they at first appeared to be.  And stinky weeds at that. It was amusing to realize that, for the most part, I could pick out what was really grass or not by how brown it was.

This post is getting long, so you'll have to wait to hear the rest of my Tuesday's drive. Suffice it to say that we safely reached the Louisiana border in spite of the tremendous storm which caused us to pull over for a while at Louisiana's very first rest stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment