Memorize:

"But My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 (KJV)

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Letter of Gratitude

First a little note. I understand many people are having trouble commenting. Here's how to fix it. After you click comment and write your comment, click Preview comment. It might take a couple of times, but it should take you to your gmail or whatever log-in screen. Before you log-in. Un-click the 'stay-signed-in' button. Then, it should take you back to the blog, and you can then hit 'Publish comment.'

-----------------------------------------------------

I've known the Edwin B. family forever. Well, as long as I can remember anyway. Our families have always been on excellent terms, but there is one particular instance that sets them apart in my mind. It was just after our family had moved to Oregon and I was desperately homesick for my home state. As in, desperately. My mother decided to attend a conference back home, and she took me with her, but not to the conference. The Edwin B. family most graciously offered to put me up for a few days. It was one of the best times of my life. (And I did get over my homesickness because of that trip. Sometimes you just have to go home once, and then you have the courage to go away again.)

Dear Edwin B. Family,

Thank you so much for taking me into your home that year. While I was a bit young and naive at the time, I realize now that I probably inconvenienced you, or at least flouted your preferences for foods and dress. And yet, what really sticks out to me is how much you went out of your way to make me feel at home. I remember many details of that visit that would be a case in point. Like the bean soup you made one evening because I happened to mention we had it a lot at home, but that I discovered later was not your idea of a fabulous meal. I remember several other meals or things you did for me under similar circumstances.

 Even the very slight mis-communication at the beginning of the visit points to how much you all cared about making a guest fell welcome. It was about the fiddle music you had playing. I remember you asked if I liked fiddle music, and I answered that it depended on my mood. You interpreted that to mean that I didn't like it, (although I did, hence the mis-communication. :D ) But based on that interpretation, you turned it off. See, even at the cost of personal preferences, you went out of your way to show that you cared.

It was one of the most memorable times in my life. I remember the hike up the road, with the grand kids/nieces/nephews in the wagon. And the sunflowers. The beautiful sunflowers. And the Purple Cows!

I just want to say, Thank You! Thank you for everything! For showing that you cared about a homesick little girl. Thank you.

In Christ,
Abigail D.

No comments:

Post a Comment